Shop at Jockstrap Central
our websites:     jockstrap central    |    un-der-wear    |    usg-online    |    mustbegay    |    jockstrapping blog    |    the jockstrap company    |    un-der-where? blog    |    your jockstraps

Go Back   USG-online - Men's Underwear and Swimwear Community > UNDERWEAR STYLES > Fundoshi

Notices

Fundoshi Post photos of Fundoshi and similar styles and discuss the photos and styles here.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:35 PM
fundoshi4all.blogspot.com

Ryan Rokushaku is on a distinguished road
How To Tie A Fundoshi

If you stumble across any helpful videos, diagrams, websites or photos that could assist others in learning how to wear a fundoshi, please post them here!

Here are the basics:

http://fundoshiphile.blogspot.com/

(a good video, a step-by-step diagram, some pics and links)

I attached the diagram for convenience. The video is really helpful!

A fundoshi is a single strip of soft, lightweight fabric 8-9 feet long and 6-10 inches wide. You can make your own by obtaining 3 yards of fabric and ripping it lengthwise. No hemming necessary, unless you want to be fancy!

Traditionally, the fabric used is called "sarashi," it is like a tight-weave cheesecloth. I like to use cotton gauze, cotton voile, or ordinary cheesecloth for mine. I've also ordered fundoshi from sites like eBay and xzytes.com.

Fundoshi is an elegant, secure, supportive and sensual undergarment in use for over 1,000 years in Japan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rokusyakudiagramweb.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	39084  
Old 09-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Smartarse from Down Under

SweatyAussie is on a distinguished road
Once at the Perth "Gay Olympics", when they used to hold them, there was a guy walking around dressed in what looked like an ordinary towel tied in the manner of a fundoshi. I have attempted a few times to put on a towel in a similar manner, but there was never enough material, not even with the large beach towels. It seems that about 3 metres' length of cloth is required, so it's not surprising that I wasn't too successful.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 PM
XXXX

The Bondsman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Bondsman Send a message via MSN to The Bondsman
Cool No need to go to great lengths...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyAussie View Post
It seems that about 3 metres' length of cloth is required, so it's not surprising that I wasn't too successful.
I'm sure a towel would be FAR too bulky, specially between the legs.
Perhaps he had his "tailored" specially?

I can do my simplified version of the fundoshi with two metres, (or even a little less) and it still holds up well.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 PM
USG Member

Boylover is on a distinguished road
Tying and size of a Fundoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bondsman View Post
I'm sure a towel would be FAR too bulky, specially between the legs.
Perhaps he had his "tailored" specially?

I can do my simplified version of the fundoshi with two metres, (or even a little less) and it still holds up well.
Here´s a helpful video on tying a Fundoshi:

http://fundoshi4all.blogspot.com/p/s...tructions.html

Personally, I prefer not too wide: 18-19 cm. ( about 7 1/2 inch) is comfortable to me, and covers everything:

Length according to my waist: about 2.8 meters.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:30 PM

More fundoshi instructions

Here's the diagram for tying on a fundoshi from the book Mishima's Sword: Travels In Search Of A Samurai Legend by Christopher Ross. Ross includes this illustration in a chapter where he interviews one of Mishima's confidants in a fundoshi bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mishima196largeweb.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	39759  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:56 AM
XXXX

Red face Thing's lookin' UP?

Was not aware that traditionally your dick should point UP according to step 8. (Hey, every day's a school day!)
This requirement would mean you have to make the pouch very tight to maintain such a position.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Up or down?

It's possible to wear a fundoshi with your penis down, but there's really no give once the fundoshi is fully tied, so you'd either need to leave the pouch roomy or if you become aroused things might get a little crowded.

If your penis is up, it naturally leaves a little more room for growth. I'd say 95% of the fundoshi pics I see are pointing up, and any festival pictures I've ever seen 100% of the cocks are up. The naked festivals can be quite strenuous and even violent, so keeping the penis close to the body keeps it further from harm too.

The "portable" shrines that groups of men shoulder and carry through the town or to the sea are also quite heavy. Besides it being the traditional garb, fundoshi also help prevent hernias and groin injuries. Fundoshi may very well be the world's oldest jock strap.

I occasionally tie my fundoshi penis downward, but it's the rare instance and it's usually for visual effect as I find up far more comfortable in a fundoshi.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:46 PM
XXXX

Exclamation "Down" Boy!

DEFINITELY a "down" boy myself, and strangely even back when in Japan and persuaded to don a fundoshi for a local festival, ....despite having much help and advice in getting it on, no one informed me or actually physically positioned me that way as it was being put on with the assistance of about ten other blokes.
That's not to say that there wasn't a certain amount of intimate "touching" during the whole process, ......but I do remember FINALLY ending up pointing down for the ceremony itself, despite the unexpectedly very "arousing" nature of being so intimately handled by many eager to help hands during the somewhat protracted construction of the garment.

(Hey, you try standing completely naked in the centre of a group of nearly naked young men as they all try to fashion a rather complicated wrapping of your cock and balls, leaving your arse cheeks free and see how your body reacts! And there's no hiding it either!)

They could hardly have failed to have noticed my "excited" state at the time but were far too polite to comment....well in English anyway. My Japanese is almost negligible, so maybe they did say something to each other. Perhaps they just thought it would stay that way in the fundoshi, i.e."up" and the correct manner would be achieved?
My host friend and supposed translator was FAR too busy laughing at my predicament!
Have to say the weather was NOT all that warm outside either, but (and not attempting to boast here), I did seem to be showing a little "more" than most of the other men....if you take my meaning..and I'm sure you do!
Perhaps due to my being in the "down" position? No cock-ring or artificial aids to enhancement back then like you'd expect nowadays either.
Translator-Boy said the locals were fascinated by my chest, ...that and my Aussie summer speedo tan line.

It's quite embarrassing now to think back. I must have stood out like some alien freak amongst all the pale and shorter, much more savvy locals.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 AM
USG Member

Boylover is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bondsman View Post
Was not aware that traditionally your dick should point UP according to step 8. (Hey, every day's a school day!)
This requirement would mean you have to make the pouch very tight to maintain such a position.
I´ve tried to tie my Fundoshi tight enough to keep my dick pointing upward, but no good: it would always slide down when walking, and at least stay in a sideway position.

Lately, I wear it pointing downwards, covering my newly pierced scrotal piercings, to prevent them from rubbing against the fabric and moving around, while they are still healing and a little sensitive.

Last edited by Boylover; 06-05-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 PM

Up, down, sideways

Ultimately go with what's comfortable for you.

There's a company called Marukyu which makes "stretch fundoshi" that might be ideal for downward facers.

One of the beautiful things about fundoshi is its almost infinite ability to be customized to the full range of human body shapes. I think I'd be remiss if I didn't reiterate that up is traditional, but it's nothing to get hung up on! Enjoy the fundoshi for the ingeniously simple sensual garment that it is.